Every once in a happy while we come across something that elevates one of our books (and our hearts) to unexpected heights. We always loved the possibilities that A Book is a Bee held out, but just look at these responses of children in this Facebook post by Library Consultant and Trainer JoAnne Saldanha! And what a wonderful learning for other parents, teachers and educators in how to evoke and encourage creativity – the sky is no limit at all!
|Click here to get your copy!|
One of my favourite books to read to children is ‘A Book is a Bee’ by @_lavanyakarthik_ illustrated by Ruchi Shah published by @tulikabooks.
It’s a wonderful way for my students to reflect about what books mean to them. (A side effect is that it serves as a great way to help them practice metaphors and reinforce the difference between simile and metaphors and bring in reasons for the role ‘figures of speech’ play in writing.)
I use this book often...this time with Grades 2-6, as we continued our celebrations for World Book Day on March 4th!
|A spread from the picture book A Book is a Bee|
They were free to draw and express or only share their ideas during our online class. A few needed guidance with framing the sentence into a metaphor.
* A book is a forest, enter and it’s an adventure.
* A book is like glue, it sticks to you with ideas. (doesn’t it just?!!??)
* A book is a bee, I fly when I read one.
* A book is a rocket that takes me to another world.
* A book is like a cage, when I start reading I’m trapped. (literally!! literally!!)
* A book is a bottle of water that quenches my thirst.
* A book is a whale, it is so big and long. (This child obviously had a heavy tome in mind!!)
* A book is Lego, it gives me imagination, makes me smart and playful. I like it.
*A book is a journey that takes you to places you imagine.
* A book is a sausage, I want to gobble it up. (a child after my own heart!!)
* A book makes you go in a car over an adventurous mountain of words.
* A book is life and logic, it teaches you in many ways. (may I grow up to be this kid!!!)
*A book is a superhero that saves me from boredom. (Ah!! The Marvel/ DC fan, never fails to make his/her presence felt!)
Just a few of the interesting and wonderful responses that made my heart leap with joy.